• RIDE_IN_BXL: TO READ ABSOLUTELY (english)

Forum moderator
Site Admin
Site Admin

• RIDE_IN_BXL: TO READ ABSOLUTELY (english)

Message par Forum moderator »

Dernière modification par Forum moderator le mar. 21/09/2004 09:08, modifié 10 fois.
Les bons plans roller en Belgique et ailleurs...
Forum moderator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ride_in_Bxl - Presentation and participants

Ride_in_Bxl is a group of friends that meet once per week to ride in the city with rollers on. It is a sportive ride. The aim is to avoid to have to manage beginners or medium level skaters. The pace is quite fast/

1. Participants
Ride_in_Bxl is not for beginners. Easy Riders have a good or very good level. They can control their speed, stop when necessary. They are adults, responsible and friendly. They respect the other road users, the street furniture and the new Street Code. To be clear, they don't often slow down and they sweat quite a lot.

2. Newcomers
We will a void to have too many newcomers at a time but the door remains open. Every newcomer must have teh required skate experience and will be sponsored by a regular Easy Rider. "you bring a friend aloong, you are responsible for him/her". Should he/she doesn't meet the right level, he/she will accept to leave the groupe and will go home by his/her own means. Some might think that we take it too seriously with the required skill level but we believe that it is important since the aim of Ride_in_Bxl is not to train people. During their first rides, they will not take part of the management of a module.

Minors (16 minimum) will only be allowed to join if their direct parents (21+) shoulder the responsibility.

cvnnb Since Rouliroula was constituted in ASBL and that it offers an insurance to its adherent members, it goes without saying any accident which has occurred at the time of a RIB is covered by this one.

NO SPONSOR - NO BUS - NO AMBULANCE - NO POLICE - EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIMSELF/HERSELF - WE DECLINE RESPONSIBILITY IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT - TAKE YOUR DRINK - SAFETY JACKET + LIGHTS (A WHITE LIGHT ON THE FRONT AND A RED LIGHT ON THE BACK)
Dernière modification par Forum moderator le mar. 21/09/2004 09:07, modifié 5 fois.
Forum moderator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ride_in_Bxl - Safety rules

1. General safety rules
- Check your equipment before you start.
- Stay behind the hare and obey his/her orders.
- Warn for direction changes with your arm. Or keep a eye contact with the other road users. Avoid sudden moves.
- Remain in a single line, occasionally 2 people aside, never more.
- Keep an eye on the traffic.
- Block a crossroad only when necessary, free the way as soon as possible.
- Respect priorities, road signs traffic lights etc.
- Do not stop in the middle of the road.
- On the red light, do not cross the white line.
- Always remain as close as possible to the right edge of the road.
- Tramways and other vehicles have the priority, unless they clearly give you the way.
- Overtake on the right.
- Use cycle tracks whenever it is possible.
- Do not ride in one way streets or bus lanes in the wrong direction unless it is authorised for bikes. Double pay attention in one way streets to crossroads. Remain in a single line.
- On pavement, slow down your pace and try to remain on the street side of the pavement. Stay away from pedestrians and get use to overtake them on the left and cross them on the right, without getting too close. To avoid abrupt reactions, make sure they hear you (without yelling) before you overtake them.
- Do remember than pedestrian can occasionally cross abruptly a road after they just listened that no vehicle was coming. They might not have heard you.
- If the street is not clearly split with a white line, avoid to go beyond the equivalent of one lane and never go beyond half of the street. If there is a clear marking, do not ride on the second lane.
- Use a whistle only in case of absolute necessity.
- Avoid the usage of Walkman.
- Show common sense and make the right decisions for your own safety, the safety of the group and the safety of other road users. Being carefull is a necessity for all of us.

2. Protections
- Principle : "I AM VISIBLE", Retro-reflective safety jacket is compulsary. On top of this, since Jan 1st 2004, it is compulsary, when riding at night on the road, to wear a white light on the front and a red light on the back. We will most likely have to reject anyone that wouldn't wear the proper equipement. If you have several safety jackets, bring them along for the newcomers or those who forgot their equipement.
- It is recommended to wear knee, elbow and wrist protection as well as a helmet..
- Third party insurance is recommended.

3. In case of an accident
Ask one of our Booboobag (first aid kit) owners Our Bouatabobo© Maître Aikii).
- Call 112: Be concise (exact place, number of victims, kind of accident)
- Never displace a victim.
- Talk to the victime, apply first aid if you are trained.
- Think about the safety of the others, workout traffic issues
- If possible note the name of witnesses.

NO SPONSOR - NO BUS - NO AMBULANCE - NO POLICE - EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIMSELF/HERSELF - WE DECLINE RESPONSIBILITY IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT - TAKE YOUR DRINK - SAFETY JACKET + LIGHTS (A WHITE LIGHT ON THE FRONT AND A RED LIGHT ON THE BACK)
Dernière modification par Forum moderator le mar. 11/10/2005 18:56, modifié 6 fois.
Forum moderator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ride_in_Bxl - Game rules

1. Modules
If more than 16 riders, we split in modules. A module is made of 8 to 16 riders of about the same experience level. There is the "Hare" at the front and the "Tortoise" at the back. During the ride, a role rotation will allow that other members can also fulfill these functions. Fastest modules start first. The "hares" make sure there is enough distance between modules. Before to start, rallying points are agreed. Take your mobile phone with you to inform the followers in case of route change or any other event. At a rallying points, it is possible for people to move from one module to another.

2. Hare
He/She is not necessarily the fastest of the team. the role is to guide the module. He/she tunes the speed to maintain a good pace, adapted to the road conditions and the speed of the team members. He/she keep a coherent distance between 2 modules, checks the road priorities, verifies that the group does not stretch too much. He/she decides when to stop at orange light, depending on the speed and the compactness of the group. "Attention, there is no room for joke here".
He/she warns with gestures, potentially with a cry or a whistle (Never yelling) for obstacles and direction changes. He/she ensures the group is firmly present and visible in the traffic. He/she anticipates issues with car drivers. He/she tries to keep a good vision of the riding conditions. He/she knows the way or got all details before the departure. If necessary he/she can amend it after a discussion with he other team members. He/she does a quick briefing before a tough passage and potentially can send "staffers" to protect crossroads, for instance before a stiff downhill. Remember that we are fragile and please show your common sense.

3. Tortoise
He/she is closing the module, encourate and drive the team. Contrary to the belief, he/she could be very fast. Nobody is left behind the tortoise. he/she warns people when they forget to stay on the right. He/she keeps an eye behind for approaching vehicles and ask them to slow down, wait or overtake with a gesture, warns the team for the overtaking and ensures team members are going single line. He/she spots team members in difficulty and warns the hare. If you want to leave a module you must warn the tortoise.

Dernière modification par Forum moderator le mar. 21/09/2004 09:01, modifié 3 fois.
Forum moderator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ride_in_Bxl - Coaching - Tell me godfather !

Last year, Medhi wrote: "I would like to come to a ride, but I don’t know the meeting point and the route description."

It would have been better to say it like that:
1) "I‘ve got a good skating level, a good physical condition, I’m an adult, I’ve read all posts about presentation and participants, game and safety rules of the Ride_in_Bxl, and I would like to participate. Is there an Easy_Rider to sponsor me?"
2) "I’ve a retro-reflective safety jacket and white and red lights or I’m gonna get some, so no problem"
OR"Can someone lend me one exceptionnaly?"
The godfather arranges the meeting.dghghg CAREFUL, no safety jacket -> no ride
• If my godchild as no safety jacket, I give him one if I’ve got one available (which is not always the case): I thank him or give him mine !?
• If my godchild has not the required level – we can see it quite quickly: I tell it to him kindly and show him the nearest bus stop: Go back to see your mother.
• If my godchild has some difficulties, but can do it, I support him. A little slap on the bottom
• If my godchild is not used to skate within a group and/or on street: I teach him and help him.
• If my godchild catch a car or does not follow our safety rules: I warn him or fire him
• My godchild does not come with his friend, the friend of his friend, the girlfriend of his friend or his brother-in-law.
• One godfather sponsors only one godchild.
• A godchild is a load, in no way it should become a “ball and chain” (even if it is round, it is quite hard to drag)

:oops: Take 1,40 EURO for coming back with the bus if it's necessary. :oops:

Dernière modification par Forum moderator le mar. 21/09/2004 09:28, modifié 5 fois.
Forum moderator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ride_in_Bxl - The level

The last year Shukugawa wrote:
It should be better to define what is a “good level"! :roll: :roll: As “good level” is not significant, everybody can define it as he wants! I’d rather say that for this ride you should know how to skate, slow down and have a quite good condition (or not too bad condition ?) :wink: :wink:! So you don’t need to have a good level, but just know roller’s basics (balance, rolling, slowing down).

The last year Mowglish wrote:
If I can allow myself one or two little precisions, I would say that you need a better physical condition than the one required for RP because there are less stops and rhythm is higher (and Jerôme and The Avengers won’t tell you the opposite). I will add the technical level required is also higher as traffic is not stopped and pedestrians do not take care of you. Otherwise, I’m ok with you! Knowing back skating, to do slalom… is not helpful to do this kind of ride. Roller basics with a good knowledge of braking in urgency are sufficient. But Shuku, don’t you want to stop talking about something you don’t know by coming with us to one of these rides ? It looks like it smells fear around there! :lol:

The last year, after Nato, Merlin wrote:
This Friday was my first Ride_in_Bxl. Not because I thought I had not the required level, but because it wasn’t the good timing before. In one word, the Ride_in_Bxl is great. I should have noticed that the detour via NATO (in fact until Diegem) was for “long legs” and have taken the shortcut. It was hard, but I did it until the end. About the “confirmed” level, I think that it will be easier to describe the difficulties of the Ride_in_Bxl:
- about 24 km + 6km for “long legs”
- few brakes and quite short
- high rhythm (necessary to master an efficient skating)
- high downhill ending with crossroads
- skating through areas with high/difficult area traffic
- long, high and slippy hillside
- A lot of slippy, very slippy areas
- The turtle pushes you to go faster, it is not an RP and the group can not extend.
If I’ve forgotten something, I’ll do an edit. Thanks to everybody for this great ride. I wanted to stay for the after (and it was also my birthday few days before :P ) ) but I had a Fabi to pick up as soon as possible.

The last year, after Nato, Avenger wrote:
It is clear that for a first ride after 3 months of abstinence, it wasn’t easy! That’s why I gave up. I now have to try to come back to my last summer endurance level. And with that, maybe I will no more heard advice every 10 meters: Hurry up…, do you want to drink ?…, don’t skate here…, come here…, be careful… because it becomes exhausting after a while. So I wait to do a Ride_in_Bxl in a better condition to give a more objective opinion.
Because, for the moment it is not very positive. :wink:

The last year , after Nato, Ally wrote:
Well, well, this ride was very nice… and very physique. I didn’t think I would be able to come to the end of the few hillsides. And I want to thanks Sylvain, Mowglish, SuperP and Thom for their help. I would not have succeed without you ererezr . It was a shame for the slippy road. But the way to go to take the ING group picture worth it. Ah yeah, I forgot… I’ve the sadness to announce you the death of 5 of my bearings :cry: . I tried to rescue them, but it didn’t work. For the next ride, I will try new frames and new wheels, and I will ride past all of you… :wink:

Verrouillé